18 Apr 5 Steps to Glowing Skin In 14 Days (Or Less)
This article is a guest post by Kaitlyn Wilson at Sitting Pretty. Sitting Pretty solves “thin hair but I want thick hair” problems with uniquely designed halo hair extensions, so you can look like you, but you’er.
How to get glowing skin in a fortnight.
While this may sound like trickery, we assure you can get healthy glowing skin in as little as two weeks.
All it takes is a consistent skincare regime and a few small changes to your lifestyle.
You’d be forgiven for thinking the only way to a bright and glow-worthy complexion is expensive products, but in fact, there are many ways you can get that glow.
From which foods for glowing skin, to DIY face masks for glowing skin, supplements and more, we will have you beaming in no time.
Let’s dig in…
How to get glowing skin with food
Just like abs, healthy hair and skin are made in the kitchen too.
A natural glow is the most significant indicator of healthy skin. And arguably, your diet plays the most vital part in the health, and in turn, the appearance of your skin.
So, basically it doesn’t matter how diligent you are with your skincare regime if you aren’t eating glowing skin foods.
The best foods for glowing skin are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, such as fruits and vegetables
There is also a strong correlation between healthy glowing skin and a diet high in good fats and low in processed foods.
So which are the best glowing skin foods?
- Avocado: Healthy oils and a high vitamin E concentration found in avo create healthy building blocks for skin cell formation as well as improving barrier function and hydration.
- Sweet potatoes: These are full of anti-inflammatory agents, magnesium and beta carotene. The skin of sweet potatoes is also full of fibre which aids in digestions leading to a blemish free complexion.
- Carrots: Vitamin A plays a major role in collagen production and carrots have a super high beta carotene content – which converse to vitamin A in the body.
- Leafy Greens: Spinach, Kale and collard greens as well as broccoli and brussel sprouts contain lots of vitamin K. This promotes blood circulation.
- Tomato: These are full of the antioxidant lycopene, which is powerful for combating UV damage.
- Fatty Fish (salmon): Salmon in particular is full of Omega 3 fatty acids. These keep cells strong and intact while reducing inflammation thanks to their ability to fight free radicals. However, fish is best consumed in moderation due it’s high mercury concentration which can be dangerous over time.
- Blueberries: these are not only low in calories but they’re also super high in nutritional value and antioxidants, which help to repair damaged cells and fight harmful radicals. Oh, and did I mention just one cup of blueberries accounts for a quarter of your daily vitamin C intake?
- Citrus fruit: Lemons, limes, grapefruit and oranges as well as other citrus fruits contain high amounts of vitamin C. Studies confirm that those who consume high amounts of these fruits have less wrinkles.
While you’re at it, you may as well try this hairtox smoothie too: This Hairtox Smoothie Will Give Your Hair A Detox From The Inside Out
DIY facemask for glowing skin
As well as glowing skin foods, our pantries are all choc full of ingredients to create DIY face masks for glowing skin.
So how to get glowing skin in a fortnight using DIY Facemasks?
Before you create your DIY facemask, it is important to know what your skin’s primary problem is so you can treat it accordingly.
The main reason for dull skin is poor circulation, which can be caused by a number of factors such as:
- Smoking excessively
- Alcohol consumption
- Poor diet
Essentially, anything that deprives your skin of oxygen and nutrients will result in a dull and glow-less complexion.
This is because without proper circulation, oxygen and essential nutrients, your skin becomes dehydrated.
So proper hydration is absolutely essential when it comes to getting glowing skin.
How to get glowing skin in fortnight via hydration, you ask?
Create a natural facemask to boost hydration such as this coconut oil, oat and egg mask.
Coconut oil has many beneficial properties when it comes to getting glowing skin. As well as anti-inflammatory properties, it also can penetrate the deepest layers of skin for some serious hydration.
Oats are full of nutrients and antioxidants that can be absorbed through the skin; they are also a natural humectant, which helps your skin to retain moisture.
Eggs contain high quantities of protein and collagen, which are proven to be extremely useful for fighting inflammation as well as signs of aging.
To create this DIY facemask for glowing skin simply combine one tablespoon of coconut oil with one egg and a handful of oats. Leave the mask for 15 – 20 minutes before wiping it off with a warm washcloth.
Repeat twice a week to get glowing skin in a fortnight.
How to get glowing skin in a fortnight using pre or probiotics
A good pre or probiotic can do your body a world of good. For example they;
- boost your immune system
- improve your digestion
- reduce bloating and inflammation in your digestive tract
It has also been proven that pre and probiotics can have some serious benefits for your skin too!
The reason foods for glowing skin are so effective is that they contain vital nutrients and trigger chemical reactions in your body that give you a more youthful appearance. So if you are struggling to include enough of these nutrients in your diet, pre and probiotics are a great and speedy way to get glowing skin.
Collagen has also been proven to have some serious benefits when it comes to healthy glowing skin. So we’d recommend adding prebiotic containing collagen to your rotation such as our Premium Prebiotic collagen protein.
Balance your hormones for glowing skin
From bloating to mood swings and even acne, hormones are to blame for so many things.
In fact, hormone imbalances can wreak absolute havoc on your skin, causing acne, redness, inflammation and dehydration.
So how do you get glowing skin in a fortnight by balancing your hormones?
- Nutrition: Our hormones are made from fats and proteins so it is essential that you ensure you are giving your body what it needs. Eat moderate amounts of healthy fats, plants and protein focusing on whole foods.
- Diaphragmatic Breathing: Short shallow breaths can communicate to your body that you’re in danger, causing it to release excessive stress hormones. These stress hormones have been implicated in bad skin, weight gain, and thyroid problems. Long, slow breaths all the way down into your belly let your body know that you are safe and calm lowering the production of stress hormones.
- Reduce your caffeine intake: Caffeine can also trigger the production of stress hormones. Limit yourself to one coffee per day or switch to green tea.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep deprivation can cause the imbalance of numerous hormones and compromise the absorption of essential nutrients.
While there are a few ways to treat hormone imbalances, one of the easiest and fastest methods is to take a supplement.
This four-pillar approach means that your skin will not just be healthy and beaming, but your insides will be balanced and nourished too.
Drink more water to get glowing skin
Lack of hydration is the enemy of gorgeous glowing skin.
So how do you get glowing skin by drinking more water? It is simple, just drink more water…
Specifically at least two to three litres a day, depending on your body mass.
Be mindful not to drink more than this, or you’ll flush out your electrolytes which causes dehydration.
Staying optimally hydrated will not only help to fight dull complexions as well as fine lines and wrinkles, but it also helps to detoxify your system of any nasties that may be causing your skin harm.
Seriously, all the skincare and foods that are good for skin in the world will not help you get that glow if you are not drinking enough water.
The easiest way to drink more H20 is to buy a 2-litre drink bottle and keep it filled up and with you all day. Set hourly reminders on your phone to remind you to hydrate.
By drinking 2 – 3 litres of water everyday, you will notice a massive change in your skin within a fortnight.
What to read next: